On 04/22/2014 08:57 AM, Ligade, Shailesh [USA] wrote:
> I think by default, the certificate hint list asks for client authentication
> certificates. Is there any configuration option to ask for different types of
> certificates? e.g.  signing or encryption certificates?

In TLS, the client's secret key (which is associated with the public key
in the client's certificate) is always used to make a digital signature,
regardless of whether DHE or RSA key exchange mechanisms are used (for
fixed (non-ephemeral) DH key exchange, the client's DH public key is
already used directly in the handshake and provided in the cert, so no
signature is needed; but no one actually uses this mode, afaict).

So for normal use, the client sends the server its signature in the
CertificateVerify message:

So a TLS client certificate that is marked with a KU/EKU for encryption
only (and not for signing) is probably a mistake at the protocol level.
 A client shouldn't need a hint from the server to avoid using those
certs as client certs.

        --dkg