On 1 November 2014 at 09:05, Kaspar Brand <httpd-dev.2...@velox.ch> wrote:
> On 30.10.2014 15:51, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> IMO the present concerns with OCSP Stapling are:
>>
>> * not so clear that it has seen enough real-world testing; commented out
>> sample configs and better documentation will help, as will enabling by
>> default in trunk (just a little?)
>> * related bugs 57121 and 57131
>>
>> A simple way to help with the broader issue raised in 57131, as well as fix
>> 57121, is to not hold the global mutex while communicating with a
>> responder, with other handshakes completing with the existing response in
>> the cache as long as it is valid, or with the appropriate
>> communication-error response otherwise (some details omitted ;) ).
>>
>> There are a few other bugs currently open for less severe issues.
>>
>> TIA for your comments!
>
> I'm -1 on this, under the assumption that 2.4.x would eventually also
> turn it on by default (yes, I'm aware of PR 50740, and CABF trying to
> push this).
>
> While enabling it by default on trunk probably doesn't change much (in
> my experience, very, very few people really compile and run trunk, I
> would even claim that this applies to http devs, too), I feel that the
> approach of "let's turn it on by default and see how many people run
> into problems" (and bring them up on httpd-users etc.) isn't right.
> Those interested in achieving a more widespread use should specifically
> test OCSP stapling with mod_ssl, report their findings, file PRs on
> Bugzilla (and if possible, also submit suitable patches).
>
> The fundamental objection I have to enabling stapling by default in our
> GA releases is that it would enable a "phoning home" feature (to the
> CA's OCSP responders) as a side effect of configuring a certificate.
> This is a setting I consider unacceptable for software published by the
> Apache HTTP Server project - the default must be opt-in, not opt-out.

I've just become aware of this objection and would like to understand
the thinking behind it. Firstly, it seems strange to call this
"phoning home", a term that _usually_ means connecting to the vendor
of the s/w.

But more importantly, what harm is there in a server connecting to the
OCSP responders for the certificates it is serving? Why is this
"unacceptable"?