Since it gets more common to use the expression parser for string operations and not only for boolean checks, I think it would be useful (and powerful) to support

s/PATTERN/REPLACEMENT/FLAGS

and allow back references in REPLACEMENT. The operation would not try to do the replacement in place but create a new string according to the given PATTERN and REPLACEMENT.

I had a quick look at the flex and bison files which generate lexer and parser but must admit that it wasn't immediately obvious to me how to do it. I can try harder but first wanted to ask if there are any volunteers who know that technology better than me. Stefan (Frisch)? Others?

Otherwise I'll try myself (and learn new stuff on the way).

Regards,

Rainer