On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> It really depends on the OS and the version of the OS. In
> my test cases on OSX and CentOS5 and centOS6, I see
> measurable improvements.

Part of the reason for your differences... on this console here I have;
$ set | grep -E "^L[AC]"
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Knock that back to a SBCS en_US.ISO-8859-1 and you'll see an
improvement, not that the stdc library implementation was inefficient
(it wasn't), but that UTF-8 causes strcmp to fall over into MBCS character
handling.

As long as this function is promoted for fast ASCII-specific token
recognition and has no other unexpected equalities, it serves a useful
purpose.