From: Mikhail T. [mailto:mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com]
Sent: woensdag 25 november 2015 23:19
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: apr_token_* conclusions (was: Better casecmpstr[n]?)

On 25.11.2015 14:10, Mikhail T. wrote:

Two variables, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE control this text processing behavior.
The above is the correct lower case transliteration for Turkish.  In German,
the upper case correspondence of sharp-S ß is 'SS', but multi-char translation
is not provided by the simple tolower/toupper functions.

So, the concern is, some hypothetical header, such as X-ASSIGN-TO may, after
going through the locale-aware strtolower() unexpectedly become x-aßign-to?

I just tested the above on both FreeBSD and Linux, and the results are
encouraging:

% echo STRASSE | env LANG=de_DE.ISO8859 tr '[[:upper:]]' '[[:lower:]]'
strasse

Thus, I contend, using C-library will not cause invalid results, and the only
reason to have Apache's own implementation is performance, but not correctness.

-mi