=======================
            switch (status) {
                case APR_SUCCESS:       /* successful read, reset our idle
timers */
                    have_read = 1;
                    wait_micros = 0;
                    break;
                case APR_EAGAIN:              /* non-blocking read, nothing
there */
                    break;
                default:
                    if (APR_STATUS_IS_ETIMEDOUT(status)
                        || APR_STATUS_IS_ECONNABORTED(status)
                        || APR_STATUS_IS_ECONNRESET(status)
                        || APR_STATUS_IS_EOF(status)
                        || APR_STATUS_IS_EBADF(status)) {
                        /* common status for a client that has left */
                        ap_log_cerror( APLOG_MARK, APLOG_DEBUG, status,
session->c,
                                      "h2_session(%ld): terminating",
                                      session->id);
                        /* Stolen from mod_reqtimeout to speed up lingering
when
                         * a read timeout happened.
                         */
                        apr_table_setn(session->c->notes,
"short-lingering-close", "1");
                    }
                    else {
                        /* uncommon status, log on INFO so that we see this
*/
                        ap_log_cerror( APLOG_MARK, APLOG_INFO, status,
session->c,
                                      APLOGNO(02950)
                                      "h2_session(%ld): error reading,
terminating",
                                      session->id);
                    }
                    h2_session_abort(session, status, 0);
                    goto end_process;
            }
===========================

I'm not familiar enough with differences in bucket handling between serf and
httpd to really make the call, but as the serf buckets were designed by the
same group:
I'm guessing that there might be successful reads with different status
values than just APR_SUCCESS.

In serf I would expect to see an immediate APR_EOF when there is only a
single frame to be read (or perhaps a few intermediate APR_EAGAINS and then
a EOF), which may both imply successful reading 0 or more bytes, followed by
their status code.

        Bert