> assuming slow backends

My workload isn't so much backends slowly and steadily producing data on each
connection, but significantly long pauses before delivering any content at all.
 The "slow" vs "paused" backend seems more applicable to something like a PHP
backend without a View/Presentation tier (as in MVC).

> how would you like httpd to handle it: should it just slurp in the data from
> the backend and buffer it and send it to the client all in one go? Should it
> instead forward data as soon as it gets it?

I would think any such backend should forward the response body (or complete
request without a body) as soon as it comes in, streaming if the content is
large enough (ex. a PDF).

If I desired to buffer all the data before sending to clients (not applicable
to me, but I can imagine some use cases), that would be the job of a separate
module sitting on the output filter chain, wouldn't it?

Rick Houser
Web Administration
(517)367-3516