Hi,

I just tried to build Apache httpd 2.4.21 using the pre-release test tarball under Linux (openSUSE Leap 42.1). But in contrast to the previous releases my own build wrapper script unfortunately failed. I could reproduce the problem by just using the reduced command

 ./configure  --enable-so --enable-mods-shared=few

that issues

 [... lines deleted ...]
 checking whether to enable mod_proxy_express... no (few)
 checking whether to enable mod_proxy_hcheck... checking dependencies
 configure: WARNING: "mod_watchdog is disabled but required for
mod_proxy_hcheck"
 checking whether to enable mod_proxy_hcheck... configure: error:
 mod_proxy_hcheck has been requested but can not be built due to prerequisite
failures

Ok, a "configure --help" mentions

 --enable-proxy-hcheck  reverse-proxy health-check module. Requires
                        --enable-proxy and --enable-watchdog

but why is the module "proxy-hcheck" enabled while using the option "--enable-mods-shared=few"?

Unfortunately the option "--enable-mods-shared=few" seems not well documented but it seems to enable for e.g. for 2.4.20 only the modules access_compat, alias, auth_basic, authn_core, authn_file, authz_core, authz_groupfile, authz_host, authz_user, autoindex, dir, env, filter, heaaders, log_config, mime, reqtimeout, setenvif, statis, unixd, and version. But no "proxy"-related modules are included!

A short analysis of the configure script of 2.4.21 let me find the somewhat irritating line 23330

 enable_proxy_hcheck=$enable_proxy_hcheck

Comparing the logic about that line with that of the other "proxy"-related modules I replaced that line by the more meaningful (?)

 enable_proxy_hcheck=$proxy_mods_enable

and at least ./configure now runs without errors.

Additionally I found on lines 21591-21593 the in 2.4.21 added related code

 if test "$proxy_mods_enable" = "no"; then
  enable_proxy_hcheck=no
 fi

that seems to me a little bit like an incomplete hack for the errorneous (?) line 23330 mentioned above (but I'm not sure).

Regards

Jens