On Fri, 24 Jun 2016, William A Rowe Jr wrote:

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Jens Schleusener
<jens.schleuse...@t-online.de> wrote:

... good news.

So now nearly superfluous info but just for completeness: Your first patch for
modules/proxy/config.m4
sent at "Thu, 23 Jun 2016 07:32:02 -0500" solved at least the superficial
problem and let the configure
run end without an error.

The entire solution is now presented in STATUS, but for reviewers
I've rolled up all of the diffs into a single delta that can be applied
to either 2.4.21 or 2.4.22 release candidates for easier testing;

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wrowe/patches/master/proxy-rollup-2.4.21.patch

This will hopefully address every edge case with the proxy and
proxy sub-modules logic in ./configure (just be sure to re-run
./buildconf after applying this patch!)

Ok, I applied the patch to both release candidates and a

 ./configure --enable-mods-shared=few

ends without errors (using openSUSE Leap 42.1; autoconf-2.69-11.4.noarch; libtool-2.4.2-16.6.x86_64).

But a subsequent "make" produces to the expected 21 modules additionally the 4 modules

 modules/proxy/balancers/.libs/mod_lbmethod_bybusyness.so
 modules/proxy/balancers/.libs/mod_lbmethod_byrequests.so
 modules/proxy/balancers/.libs/mod_lbmethod_bytraffic.so
 modules/proxy/balancers/.libs/mod_lbmethod_heartbeat.so

As since yesterday httpd-2.4.x seems now accordingly patched I tried that branch and it also works with the above configure command and a subsequent "make" produces just the expected 21 modules.

So for the original reported error regarding the configure option --enable-mods-shared=few the fixes seems ok now.

But some observations (from an outsider):

1) Just a pure ./configure (probably equivalent to using the option --enable-mods-shared=most) let produce the "make" (compared to the last release 2.4.20) 86 modules instead 85 modules with the additional modules

 modules/core/.libs/mod_watchdog.so
 modules/proxy/.libs/mod_proxy_hcheck.so

and the omitted module

 modules/session/.libs/mod_session_crypto.so

That may be expected.

By the way the option --enable-mods-shared=all produces 103 modules and --enable-mods-shared=reallyall 120 ones.

2) But for me surprising the option--enable-mods-shared=none seems to have the same configuration effect as the option--enable-mods-shared=most (producing 86 modules) respectively the option is ignored and the default "most" is used.

Similar for e.g. --enable-mods-shared='headers rewrite dav' (an example from the documentation page http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/configure.html) seems to produce the same behaviour like --enable-mods-shared=most while I would expect that only the three specified modules would be buillt.

Odd, also arbitray module names like --enable-mods-shared=nonsense seems equivalent to --enable-mods-shared=most.

But that is an error it seems not a regression since 2.4.20 shows the same behaviour.

Regards

Jens