On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since Upgrade is an HTTP/1 feature, I don't find it too twisted...
>>
>> The primary goal would be to let the backend decide whether an Upgrade
>> is to be done, or otherwise continue with HTTP (still parsing the
>> response, filtering, caching, ...).
>

> Nope... a thousand times nope...
>
> The protocol, along with a host of headers, are a hop-by-hop entities.
> They are not part of that discussion.

Hmm, what's the point?
Can't proxies forward protocols? Don't we forward WebSocket already?
Do hop by hop headers prevent HTTP forwarding?

We are talking about proxying Upgraded protocols here (once upgraded),
acting as a transparent/reverse proxy, when configured to, and as
negotiated by the client and backend.
Don't we do that for HTTP and other protocols already?