> On Aug 3, 2016, at 11:44 AM, Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/31/2016 09:18 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>>> So all the trailing SP/HTAB are part of obs-fold IMHO.
>>> Should we replace all of them (plus the CRLF) with a single SP or with
>>> as many SP?
>>
>> Hmmm... Good point. Advancing over them in our HTTP_STRICT mode seems
>> best, if we have a consensus on this.
>
> Agreed that we should process all the obs-fold whitespace, and not just one
> byte.
>
> Replacing each byte with a separate space (as opposed to condensing into a
> single space) *might* help prevent adversaries from playing games with header
> length checks in more complicated/layered systems. That's probably a stretch
> though. And if we consume the CRLF in a different layer of logic, adding on
> two spaces just to keep everything "consistent" may also be a stretch. I'm
> not feeling strongly either way.

What the spec is trying to say is that we can either replace all those bytes
with a single SP (semantically speaking they are the same) or we we can replace
them all with a sequence of SP (still the same, but doesn't require splitting
or recomposing the buffer).

> >>    obs-fold = CRLF 1*( SP / HTAB )
> >>

> Note that this section of the spec has Errata associated with it; I'm reading
> through the conversation [1] and it's seeming like they *may* want to treat
> OWS preceding the CRLF as part of the obs-fold as well. I don't know what our
> position is on adopting pieces of Errata that have been Held for Document
> Update.

No, that is just an ABNF issue for matching purposes.  We don't use it.

....Roy