I just upgraded from 2.4.20 to 2.4.23 and experienced a significant change in
behavior. I suspect it is related to this change:

  *) configure: Fix ./configure edge-case failures around dependencies
     of mod_proxy_hcheck. [William Rowe, Ruediger Pluem, Jeff Trawick]

I typically compile the modules that we use statically and remove all unneeded
shared modules.

My configure script includes the following directives (among others):

But none of the balancer, misc connectors or LB modules. Using the same
configure script from 2.4.20 in 2.4.23 I got all of the misc connectors, the lb
and balancer modules compiled in statically, BUT it failed on startup because
slotmem_shm module was needed and not included.

When I changed the configure script to explicitly state that the lb and
balancer modules should be ‘shared’ … Even the above 4 proxy modules that I
needed were built as shared in spite of being in the configure as static.

To resolve this issue and get the same behavior as I had in 2.4.20, I needed
the following additions:

Not sure this was the intended behavior change and not sure if this warrants a
‘bug report’, so I’m mentioning it here.

Russ Witte