On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM, David Zuelke <d...@heroku.com> wrote:
> As a, more or less, "outside observer", I happen to think that the current
> method of voting on finals, instead of a practice of rolling out RCs (that
> are then left up for testing for at least a week), is fundamentally broken.
> The 2.4 changelog in particular is littered with releases that were never
> officially published. For users, that's really confusing. For maintainers,
> it's painful to start over the process each time, and it sometimes leads to
> months and months without a release that contains certain fixes. Then a
> backport goes wrong (still using SVN, in my opinion, does not help there, but
> that's a whole different discussion :)), and a regression is in the latest
> release until someone eventually picks up a fix.

It seems to me that most "not released" versions are immediately
superseded.  The practice of throwing away the number instead of
calling the initial contents an RC shouldn't contribute meaningfully
to a fix being delayed.

New blood for release managers would be nice, and smaller/more
frequent /more predictable releases would probably help that.

--
Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com