On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Evgeny Kotkov
<evgeny.kot...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
> William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:
>
>> My open questions; has this been entirely reviewed in conjunction with h2?
>> Will A-E: br,gzip,deflate axe all others from that list when deciding to
>> enable brotli? (I presume not-yet.) Will gzip filter work where A-E: gzip was
>> given without br, or are we ceasing to encode half of the web if the user
>> elects to serve brotli compression?
>
> Hi William,
>
> Answering some of the questions:
>
> 1) I did test mod_brotli in conjunction with mod_http2 around the time it
>    was committed.  As far as I remember, I didn't spot anything unusual
>    or any issues.

Cool; would be nice to do something in the perl-framework.

> 2) The brotli and deflate output filters can coexist.
>
>    Moreover, mod_brotli was written with a particular use case in mind
>    where this module is added to an existing mod_deflate installation,
>    and results in sending brotli-encoded data only to the clients that
>    advertise they know how to deal with it via "Accept-Encoding: br".
>
>    "Accept-Encoding: br, gzip, deflate" is not going to double-encode
>    the data, as both mod_brotli and mod_deflate are smart enough to only
>    kick in for identity Content-Encoding.  "Accept-Encoding: gzip" is going
>    to use only the mod_deflate's filter, and mod_brotli will remove itself
>    from the chain, after not finding "br" in the Accept-Encoding.
>
>    There are a couple of tests from https://svn.apache.org/r1761716 that
>    verify this behavior.  (However, I think that right now there is no
>    explicit test for the case of sending "Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate"
>    to a location with both mod_brotli and mod_deflate.)

Indeed - I just expanded it to test this combination and the test passes.
Very reassuring.

I don't think we need to consider the priority choice of the user-agent,
it's on our cpu-intensive server to elect it's idea of best compression.

We could add a test for inverted filter order but I don't consider that
particularly critical.