On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 9:34 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> IMO that's garbage, please revert. I don't believe that any ASF project,
> which has very firm rules about appropriating code bases, should be
> tolerating namespace abuse and mark infringement against other
> projects.

Not really a technical argument...
LibreSSL is a fork, for some reasons (which we don't have to and won't
discuss/dispute here) some people decided that OpenSSL (as is/was)
didn't suit their needs and forked it (which, AFAICT, isn't forbidden
by the OpenSSL license), and for the same or other reasons (whatever),
some people decided to use and package it in distros.
Thus both projects share code and namespace...

> If they want us to test a symbol in a LIBRESSL space, that's fine, but
> OPENSSL namespace was not theirs to begin with.

They define LIBRESSL_VERSION, but alas (for us) also OPENSSL_VERSION=2
(I agree that they probably have to change that some day...).

Anyway, if we want to support LibreSSL we could check LIBRESSL_VERSION
all over the place and have distinct code in mod_ssl for both libs, or
do something like this quite simple patch and thanks to most
code/namespace reuse have it work with few changes.

Do you propose that we don't support LibreSSL for ethical reasons?

Regards,
Yann.