Feel like I should drop 2c in here...

I'd be VERY happy to see more frequent "major" version bumps, i.e.
2.4->2.6->2.8 or whatever which break backwards compat/ABI.  We have the
chance to break compat every ~6 months in Fedora so it's no problem
getting new code into the hands of users.

I've spent much of my upstream time this year trying to get all RHEL7
httpd features&fixes backported to 2.4.x and have only made it about 90%
of the way (some big chunks like mod_systemd, suexec stuff remain);
would love to not have to burn more time on backports because that stuff
is in 2.6.0 already.

At the moment I think we have to accept that 2.4.x is going to be a bit
unstable if we're trying to backport everything without *either* having
good test coverage (which we don't) or having new code widely tested by
users.

Regards, Joe