> > On 20 Apr 2018, at 08:53, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for coming in late, but what is the exact issue we are trying to
> solve again? My understanding was that if someone wanted something like
> >
> >       ErrorLog "syslog-httpd.log"
> >
> > that the current implementation would, incorrectly, send the log data to
> syslogd. Is that right?
>
> Luca is working PR 62102 which has to do with "syslog:...:...", but that
> unveiled an inconsistency between core.c and log.c. Before his proposed
> patch in STATUS, core.c is doing a strcmp() for "syslog" whereas log.c is
> doing strncasecmp(). We have been discussing standardizing both on
> strn?cmp(), but that would potentially lead to "breaking" configs that use
> "SYSLOG" rather than "syslog".

I don't believe that they two things are separate (core/log.c), since the
former checks for ErrorLog's parameter sanity and the latter sets it, so it
would be weird in my opinion if the two logic were different. This is why I
liked your consistency proposal Jim, and applied to my patch. In our docs
we clearly specify to use "syslog" in lowercase, so as far as I can see it
using "SYSLOG" would not be something that people should use..

Luca