On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 7:59 AM Michal Karm <michal.baba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/08/2019 10:44 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 3:13 AM Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com
> > <mailto:jor...@redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 04:09:34PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >     > Various PMCs have made their default/de-facto SCM git and have
> seen an
> >     > increase in contributions and contributors...
> >     >
> >     > Is this something the httpd project should consider? Especially w/
> the
> >     > foundation officially supporting Github, it seems like time to
> have a
> >     > discussion about it, especially as we start thinking about the
> next 25
> >     > years of this project :)
> >
> >     Can we use Travis CI as well?  If so I am +1 on moving to github,
> being
> >     able to easily configure a consistent CI across branches and PRs
> will be
> >     a major improvement over the status quo.  (I have no idea how
> buildbot
> >     works or how to improve it and it's unusuable before commits)
> >

> > Travis CI is possible *today* ... since the svn commits are replicated
> over to
> > github, Travis can pick them up and run tests. Just file an INFRA ticket
> > enable it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -g
> >
> Hi Greg,
>
> That does not cover Joe's note "...and PRs...".

I understand. Just noting that Travis is (already) possible, even if PR
handling/testing/merging is uneven.

Basically having a transparent,
> dead simple set of gate smoke tests
> on a handful of major platforms and config flavours/layouts. Linux and
> Windows
> can be used in this capacity for free (as in free beer).
>
> It makes almost no sense unless all committers agree that all code commits
> pass
> through PR gate, i.e.
> no direct commits.

Nope. Won't happen.

The httpd project has been "commit-then-review" for over two decades. "Must
past tests before merge" is antithetical, and I cannot possibly imagine
this community changing to that position.

> Reading the email thread, I get the vibe that the community would have to
> put out the SVN vs. Git flame first though :)

FUD. That is not happening here at all. I'm one of the initial SVN
developers, but you won't see any flames from me, about git. I said "-0"
because I believe our community won't see the related growth that some
other projects see. It would be a change for little, if any, benefit. And I
already stated else-thread that I really like GitHub. ... it isn't about a
git/svn flame; it is about benefit/cost.

Cheers,
-g