Years ago I started hacking on an "mpm fuzz":
https://github.com/pquerna/httpd/compare/trunk...pquerna:mpm_fuzz

The idea was to make a "fake" MPM, which could feed data from AFL directly
into the network filter stack, in a super efficient way.

I don't know if it is really a great idea, since TLS and h2 are maybe hard
to get right in the stack, but its a different approach that could lead to
high coverage of critical remote network paths.

Not sure it's the right way to go about it, but thought I'd mention it as a
potential approach to deep fuzzing.