I also encountered use cases where I'd like to programmatically query
metadata.
+1 on the idea of format(“hudi-timeline”)

I also feel that the metadata can be extended further to include more info
like, errors, metrics/write statistics, etc. Like the newly proposed error
handling, we could also store all metrics or write stats there too, and
relate them to the timeline actions.

A potential use case could be, with all these info encapsulated within
metadata, we may be able to derive some insightful results (by check
against some benchmarks) and answer questions like: does table A need more
tuning? does table B exceed error budget?

Programmatic query to these metadata can help manage many tables in
diagnosis and inspection. We may need different read formats like
format("hudi-errors") or format("hudi-metrics")

Sorry this sidetracked from the original question..These are really rough
high-level thoughts, and may have sign of over-engineering. Would like to
hear some feedbacks. Thanks.