+1 yo removal of TSVs

Thank you Danny for driving continued release improvements.

On Oct 1, 2026, at 12:14, Kevin Liu <[email protected]> wrote:


Let's do it. I added some colors about the TSVs in the issue itself, and Xuanwo (who originally added the TSVs) agrees as well. 

On Thu, Oct 1, 2026 at 10:51 AM Shawn Chang <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks Danny for raising this! I'm +1 on dropping the TSV files.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2026 at 3:24 AM Jones, Danny via dev <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey folks,

 

This is mostly a PSA: I plan to drop the TSV files from the iceberg-rust repo that describe the dependencies of each crate. They do not serve any license obligation, are stale except at release time, and I don’t think are serving maintainers or consumers well. The only use case I see for is to inform maintainers and consumers of dependency changes, which can be generated using Cargo for consumers and is best enforced as policy in CI for maintainers (see cargo-deny).

 

There’s a discussion issue on the repo here, I’d recommend taking a read and to respond there or here if you have concerns or feedback on this. https://github.com/apache/iceberg-rust/issues/3233

 

I plan to move forward with removing the TSVs, however I am very happy to restore them should the community agree that they need to stay. The motivation here is to reduce maintainer burden and allow us to move forward with generating the correct attributions required for the Python bindings which distribute compiled Rust. (See this discussion thread for more info on the required attributions for pyiceberg-core: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/k72c2y72w2j00xph2mn2bnsbvcbj43o4)

 

Thanks all,

Danny

Reply via email to