As mentioned on a post to the user list
(http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Mixing-Java-major-versions-on-client-server-td1380.html)
it's not possible to connect a Java 7 client to a Java 8 server.

Does anyone with intimate knowledge of the code know whether there are
specific technical reasons for this?  I am currently working around this by
using the HTTP interface, but that interface doesn't allow me to do more
complex things (e.g., call put() correctly, I can't get SqlFields queries
working, I can't access Service grids).

I would very much like to get mixed client/server major versions working if
at all possible.