Community,

Frankly speaking, Ignite’s SQL support goes far beyond the notion of Data Grid
starting from Apache Ignite 1.8.
SQL in Ignite is no longer about distributed ANSI-99 SELECT queries only.

It will be about the ability to connect to an Ignite Cluster not only from
Java, .NET and C++ sides, that have their own SQL APIs, but, in general, from
your favorite programming language or analytical tool by the usage of Ignite’s
JDBC and ODBC drivers.

Even after you’re connected to the cluster from JDBC or ODBC side you’re no
longer limited by distributed SQL queries. You can freely and easily modify the
data with INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE statements thanks to comprehensive DML
supported contributed by Alexander Paschenko in version 1.8.  To prove this,
Igor Sapego issued a guide
<https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/pdo-interoperability> on how to start
working with an Ignite cluster from PHP side which doesn’t have its own API
implementation on Ignite side.

At all, all this means that SQL features set deserved its own component which I
propose to call In-Memory SQL Grid to conform the naming of the rest of big
components like Data Grid, Compute Grid, Service Grid.

I’ve already started reworking our documentation and will spend some time by
enriching and expanding it. However, this is a starting point:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid
<https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid>

Feel free to share your thoughts regarding the naming or content of the doc in
general.

—
Denis

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid