+1 for per-page approach (2).
I'm not sure if dictionary-based encoding within page is really efficient. Compression quality grows with increasing size of sample (it's pageSize in our case - not so big), and we can't encode "words" on the border of two entries. Also, we'll have to "garbage-collect" page dictionary from time to time (as set of entries may change and some "words" may become redundant).
However, if Oracle implemented it in profitable way, we can do it as well :)

I have a concern about (3) that it will add significant latency/network overhead. Accessing distributed caсhe with dictionary at every put is not free.

Also, I'd like to propose one more approach (let it be (4)) - local per-partition dictionary. We can store set of dictionary "words" in B+ tree or any other structure in pages - it will be automatically persisted. Efficiency of encoding will be higher than in per-page case. Thoughts? The open question for per-partition dictionary is how to "garbage-collect" it. In per-page case we can do it under page write lock, but here we have to do it in more tricky way.

Best Regards,
Ivan Rakov