I did some research for my blog some time ago, and proposal is:

* Export markdown from Readme.io (tweak as necessary, code samples etc)
* Store markdown in git. Separate branch for each Ignite version
(ignite-2.3-docs, ignite-2.4-docs, etc). Future version is in master.
* Use Jekyll to generate HTML from markdown
* Host documentation on ignite.apache.org (upload is via SVN, any committer
has rights, *changes are instant*)