Hi, Igniters!

Here are some news on our RPM packages initiative.

1. I’ve finished preliminary developing of Stage II version of RPM packages
[1]. Main “new feature” is — split design. Also I’ve added package.sh script
for automating package building process which will help organise corresponding
builds in TC as well as simplify process for developers who wishes to have
custom packages.
PR#3703 [2] is ready for review. Denis, in order to catch up with Apache Ignite
2.5 release, I’d greatly appreciate your help in finding reviewer.
2. With the help of ASF INFRA team, we now have RPM [3] and DEB [4]
repositories on Apache Bintray. Though they are already prepared for hosting
RPM and DEB packages respectively, and there is a way of linking them to
apache.org/dist/ignite page, there is possible alternative in storing there
only plain directory layout corresponding to each repository type (RPM and DEB)
and manage this layout (repodata, distributions, versions, etc.) by ourselves,
having more control over repositories but lacking some simplicity of deploying
new releases. WDYT? Should we try Cassandra approach? They are storing their
DEB packages as I described above [5].

Also — a question arose while I was working on this issue: which OSes (and
which versions of each) are we going to support (if we are going) in terms of
step-by-step list? Currently RPM packages are tested only with latest CentOS
(and, respectively — RHEL), but there are a lot more RPM-based distributives
[6] some of which are more o less popular among OS community (ALT, Fedora,
openSUSE, etc.).

[2] https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/3703
[3] https://bintray.com/apache/ignite-rpm
[4] https://bintray.com/apache/ignite-deb