Pavel,
Design you described is almost precisely what IGFS does. It has a cache for
metadata, split binary data in chunks with intelligent affinity routing. In
addition we have map-reduce feature on top of it and integration with
underlying file system with optional caching. Data can be accessed in
blocks or streams. IGFS is not in active development, but it is not
outdated either.
Can you shortly explain why do you think that we need to drop IGFS and
re-implement almost the same thing from scratch?

Dima, Sergey,
Yes, we need BLOB support you described. Unfortunately it is not that easy
to implement from SQL perspective. To support it we would need either MVCC
(with it's own drawbacks) or read-locks for SELECT.

Vladimir.