Hello Maxim,

1) Yes, Discovery Manager is starting after GridCacheProcessor, which
starts GridCacheDatabaseSharedManager which invokes readMetastorage on
start.

2) Before we complete the local join future, we create and add Exchange
future on local node join to ExchangeManager. So, when local join future
completes, first PME on that node should be already run or at least there
will be first Exchange future in Exchange worker queue.

3) I don't exactly understand what do you mean saying "update obsolete
partition counter", but the process is the following:
    a) We restore page memory state (which contain partition update
counters) from the last checkpoint.
    b) We repair page memory state using physical delta records from WAL.
    c) We apply logical records since last checkpoint finish marker. During
this iteration, if we meet DataRecord we increment update counter on
appropriate partition. NOTE: This phase currently happens during exchange.
    After that partition exchange starts and information about actual
update counters will be collected from FullMessage. If partition counters
are outdated, rebalance will start after PME end.

4) I think yes because everything that you need is cache descriptors of
currently started caches on the grid. Some information can be retrieved
from the static configuration. Information about dynamically started caches
can be retrieved from Discovery Data Bag received when a node joins to
ring.
See
org.apache.ignite.internal.processors.cache.ClusterCachesInfo#onGridDataReceived

5) I think the main problem is that metastorage and page memory share one
WAL. But If this phase will happen before PME is started on all cluster
nodes, I think it's acceptable that they will use 2 WAL iterations.