Personally I am comfortable with the way how things are now because mail
filters appear to work well for me.

However this thread made me curious about whether ASF has some guidance or
recommendations on that matter. I searched quite a bit and found none of
that kind. It looks like Apache leaves it at discretion of the project
community to decide whether to make separate list for automated messages or
not (which made a fairly good sense after I gave it a bit more thought, see
below).

---

After that I decided to check how other Apache projects manage their mailing
lists and as far as I can tell most active ones tend to have separate
mailing lists for automatic notifications from version control and / or
issue tracker.

I checked few top projects by number of committers from the list here:
https://projects.apache.org/projects.html?number - specifically top 8 that
had over 80 committers (for comparison, this list currently says Ignite has
38, I think we're fairly close to that league).

- https://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html
  http://ambari.apache.org/mail-lists.html
  ---> Separate lists for commits and for issue tracker.

  https://cordova.apache.org/contact/
  http://hive.apache.org/mailing_lists.html
  ---> Separate list for commits.

For the sake of completeness I also sampled 4 projects having 38 committers,
just like Ignite.

- http://chemistry.apache.org/project/community.html
  ---> No lists for commits nor issues.

- http://ctakes.apache.org/mailing.html
  ---> Separate list for commits.

- http://metron.apache.org/community/
  ---> Separate list for issues.

- https://orc.apache.org/develop/
  ---> Separate lists for commits and for issue tracker.

---

Based on my personal experience this issue looks to some extent a matter of
whether we consider some barrier for entry to dev list desirable or not. I
could not actively use list until I learned how to setup mail filters
because it was difficult to find discussions to participate. On the other
hand, after setting these filters it turned out very easy.

So the question is, do we want to have dev list easier or harder to use for
"passers by" who aren't deeply involved in project. If we want to keep it
strictly at top experience level, then we better keep all automated messages
in. If we want it welcoming for any random passer by, then we better move
all automated messages somewhere else. And there are of course intermediate
approaches, we can basically tune ease of entry by picking which part of
automated messages will stay and which will go away.

---

Another important thing I learned when studying mailing lists of other
projects is we better take into account that regular automated messages may
help in keeping dev list "lively" in the slow times, when there are little
to none discussions.

At first I was tempted to propose moving all the automated messages outside
- "just like big boys do" - note how top 4 projects in my list all have
commits and issues in separate lists. But looking how smaller projects tend
to handle it differently made me wonder if maybe it is a bit more
complicated, maybe there is some difference worth considering.

And as far as I can tell, the important difference is size of community /
amount of committers. When there are lots of people actively involved in the
project it is very likely that they can permanently maintain dev list active
by natural discussions. But when the project is smaller, there is a
substantial risk that sometimes most active developers are focused on issue
tracker or github which means dev list may look abandoned (if it contains
only discussions).

If there is such a risk then keeping some (not necessarily all) automated
messages in dev list will help its subscribers and visitors avoid misleading
impression of "abandoned empty place" by showing that the project is indeed
actively maintained.

regards, Oleg