If we are developing a product for users, we already guessing what is right
and what is wrong for them. So let's avoid these sophistic statements.

In the end it is always our responsibility to provide a balanced set of
trade-offs between
usability, performance and safety.

Let me repeat, I'm not against any possible type conversions, but I'm
strongly against binary incompatible ones.
If we always store List.of(1) as 1 and make them binary interchangeable,
I'm OK with that.

And still for good practices I'd suggest to look at what Protobuf allows
and what not:
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/proto3#updating

Sergi