Ivan,

> 1. I can write code and execute tests successfully even if there are
some style problems. I can imagine that a style error can arise
occasionally. And instead of getting test results after several hours
I will get a build failure without any tests run. I will simply lose
my time. But if the tests are allowed to proceed I will get a red flag
from code style check, fix those issues and rerun style check.

As far as I understand your case, you want to fix all code styles
issues right before getting the final TC results. Right? It's doable
you can disable checkstyle in your local branch and revet it back when
you've done with all your changes to get the final visa. But the
common case here is building the project locally and checking all
requirements for PR right before pushing it to the GitHub repo. I
always do so. The "Checklist before push" [1] have such
recommendations. Build the project before push will eliminate your use
case.

---

Igniters,

To summarize the options we have with code checking behaviour:

1)  (code style will be broken more often) Run checkstyle in the
separate TC suite and include it to the Bot visa.
- not all of us run TC for their branches especially for simple fixes
(it's the most common case when a new check style errors occur)
- not all of us use TC.Bot visa to verify their branches
- if this checkstyle suite starts to fail it will be ignored for some
time (not blocks the development process)
- a lot of suites for code checking (license, checkstyle, something
else in future)

+ a bit comfortable way of TC tests execution for local\prototyped PRs
(it's a matter of taste)
+ build the project and execute test suites a bit earlier (checkstyle
on the separate suite does not affect other suites)

2) (code style will be broken less often) Run checkstyle on project build stage.
- increases a bit the build time procedure
- require additional operations to switch it off for prototyping branches

+ do not require TC.Bot visa if someone of the community doesn't use it
+ code style errors will be fixed immediately if the master branch
starts to fail
+ the single place for code checks on maven code validation stage
(license check suite can be removed)

Please, add another advantages\disadvantages that I've missed.
Let's vote and pick the most suitable option for the Apache Ignite needs.

---

Personally, I'd like to choose the 2) option.

The JIRA [2] and PR [3] with the checkstyle enabled plugin is ready
for the review.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Contribute#HowtoContribute-Checklistbeforepush
[3] https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/6119