Folks,

During investigation of thin client test suite failures [1] I found
that it is not clear whether --add-modules=java.transaction in
ignite.sh/bat is needed (we add this module for Java 9 and 10). In
thread [1] I already mentioned that launching ignite.sh with Java 9
and ignite-jta libraries on a classpath leads to an error. You can see
how it can look in a log [2].

My proposal here is to get rid off --add-modules=java.transaction from
stratup scripts and parameters used by TC. And I will try to explain
why.

The story started in a ticket [3]. Where a recipe
--add-modules=java.transaction
--patch-module=java.transaction=$HOME/.m2/repository/javax/transaction/javax.transaction-api/1.3/javax.transaction-api-1.3.jar
allowed to execute JTA tests successfully. After that
--add-modules=java.transaction was added to launch scripts. But that
setup allowed to launch tests. And they failed actually due to
problems with resolving needed classes for test depndencies
(org.ow2.jotm:jotm-core). Needed classes were not found because the
dependency required classes from java standard library which were
moved to optional modules. And the thing is even trickier with a
--patch-module option because javax.transaction-api-1.3.jar contains a
superset of classes comparing to java.transaction module. So, I do not
see a need of adding this module. Moreover that module was removed
completely starting from Java 11. And even if missed something and it
has some meaning for Java 9/10, I still think that having uniform
setup for all Java versions simplifies matters.

Have I missed something? Do we have an example how to check JTA
integration? How it can be used with a standalone Ignite setup?

P.S. Also I will try to do a similar reseach about java.xml.bind
module if noone knows why do we need it.

[1]
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Thin-client-test-suites-failure-td42388.html
[2]
https://ci.ignite.apache.org/viewLog.html?buildId=4217786&buildTypeId=IgniteTests24Java8_ThinClientNodeJs&tab=buildLog&branch_IgniteTests24Java8=pull%2F6644%2Fhead&_focus=423#_state=423