Pavel,

Just a real example you asked for: we have a user attribute "ROLE_DC",
which is a comma separated list like "wfe_a, as_a, db_a" (server role and
data center designator) and we have node filters to deploy services and
start caches on servers with specific role (like WFE) and sometimes
specific role and DC (like WFE_A). The node filter splits the list and uses
a regular expression to match each segment.

If you replace generic node filter with a user attribute filter then we
still can achieve what we need  by creating 3 user attributes (ROLE_DC,
ROLE and DC) but we lose flexibility since now adding a new data center
requires updating all cache and service configurations. With regex matching
we do not need to update the configurations since we still match all the
roles in the new DC.

So we would have a solution with user attributes filter but I we lose some
flexibility.

--
Best regards,
Alexey