Folks,

Thanks for showing interest in this issue!

Alexey,

> I think removing fsync could help to mitigate performance issues with current
> implementation

Is my understanding correct, that if we remove fsync, then discovery won’t be
blocked, and data will be flushed to disk in background, and loss of
information will be possible only on OS failure? It sounds like an acceptable
workaround to me.

Will moving metadata to metastore actually resolve this issue? Please correct
me if I’m wrong, but we will still need to write the information to WAL before
releasing the discovery thread. If WAL mode is FSYNC, then the issue will still
be there. Or is it planned to abandon the discovery-based protocol at all?

Evgeniy, Ivan,

In my particular case the data wasn’t too big. It was a slow virtualised disk
with encryption, that made operations slow. Given that there are 200 nodes in a
cluster, where every node writes slowly, and this process is sequential, one
piece of metadata is registered extremely slowly.

Ivan, answering to your other questions:

> 2. Do we need a persistent metadata for in-memory caches? Or is it so
> accidentally?

It should be checked, if it’s safe to stop writing marshaller mappings to disk
without loosing any guarantees.
But anyway, I would like to have a property, that would control this. If
metadata registration is slow, then initial cluster warmup may take a while.
So, if we preserve metadata on disk, then we will need to warm it up only once,
and further restarts won’t be affected.

> Do we really need a fast fix here?

I would like a fix, that could be implemented now, since the activity with
moving metadata to metastore doesn’t sound like a quick one. Having a temporary
solution would be nice.

Denis