>  Well, my understanding was a binary object with compact footer = false
is totally standalone entity and can be read without any external metadata
Not exactly: type name and field names are unknown, you only have typeId,
field ids and positions.
There is one more Marshaller "mode": UNREGISTERED_TYPE_ID. In this mode,
full type name is included in the binary object.
However, field names are still missing and the class needs to be present to
deserialize.
That's why arbitrary objects should not be allowed in the handshake: in
most cases they can't be decoded.