Hello Igniters,

I'd like to discuss this new IEP with you: [1]. The main idea is to have a
procedure that relocates
pages to the top of the file as compact as possible which allows us to
trim the file and increase its
fill-factor. It will be configured manually and executed after the restart,
but before node joins
topology (it means any load would be impossible during defragmentation). It
is described in detail
in the IEP itself, please read it. This topic was also previously discussed
here on dev-list in [2].

Here I would like to list a few moments that are not as clear and require
your opinion.

 - what are your overall thoughts on the IEP? Any concerns?

 - maintenance mode - how do we communicate with the node that's not in
topology? What are
   the options? As far as I know, we have no current tools like this.

 - checkpointer refactoring - these changes will involve intensive writing
of pages to the storage.
   If we're going to reuse the offheap page model to perform
defragmentation then the
   checkpointing mechanism will have to be adapted in some form.
   Are you fine with this? Or we need a separate discussion?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-47%3A+Native+persistence+defragmentation
[2]
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/How-to-free-up-space-on-disc-after-removing-entries-from-IgniteCache-with-enabled-PDS-td39839.html