Let me explain with details.

CMake is unusual from other build systems, that it can separate build root
and source root. Moreover, it is strongly discouraged to mix them.
Benefits:
1. You can have many build with different options using same source.
2. You can build project with different toolchain using same source.
3. You can build project for different platforms using same source
(cross-compilation, docker, etc.)

Common patter is:
1. Create build root.
2. Change current dir to build root.
3. Invoke cmake in build root, pointing to source root.

Usually build root is subdirectory, of source root. So, as it mentioned in
DEVNOTES.txt, usual steps are:
1. mdkir <build_root> (usually named cmake-build-<build-type>[-<toolchain>]
2. cd <build_root>
3. cmake [-DOPTION1=VALUE1 -DOPTION2=VALUE2 ... ] .. (NB! This double dots
are important, they points to source root)

This is so common, that you can hardly find any tutorial about CMake in
google without thes double dots. This is basic of CMake.

So if you think that we should explain for C++ developers basics of the
most common build system (CMake is really very popular and nowadays usually
must for new projects),
we can add this to DEVNOTES.txt. But I think that is not necessary at all.
For example, we don't explain basics of maven, though it is not obvious at
all as it seems to us, Ignite developers.