Folks,

I think we are overly driven away by the phrase 'new repo' rather than the
essence of my suggestion. We can keep developing in the same repo, we can
even keep developing in the master branch. My point is that Ignite 3.0 is a
chance to move on with the architecture, so if we really want to make
architectural improvements, we should not strive for incremental changes
for *some parts of the code*.

Maxim,

To comment on your examples: I think that the huge effort that is currently
required to make any significant change in Ignite is the perfect example of
how we lack structure in the codebase. Yes, theoretically we can introduce
incremental changes in the code that will improve the structure, but my
question is: we did not do it before, what will enforce us to make these
changes now? With the current approach, adding a new feature increases the
test time non-linearly because without proper decoupling you have to test
all possible combinations of features together. We can move faster than
that.

I also do not agree that we should reduce the scope of Ignite 3.0 that
much. I do not see how the schema-first approach can be properly and
reliably implemented without a reliable HA metastorage, which in turn
requires a reliable replication protocol to be implemented. Besides, if a
number of people want to work on some Ignite feature, why should they wait
because not all community members have time to review the changes?

Let's indeed focus on Sergey's suggestions on the design->development
approach. I back both Nikolay's and Maxim's scope, but I think we should
unite them, not intersect, and the minimal list of changes to be included
to Ignite 3.0 is:

   - API & configuration cleanup
   - New management tool
   - Schema-first approach
   - New replication infrastructure

Any smaller subset of changes will leave Ignite 3.0 in a transient state
with people being too afraid to move to it because there are more major
breaking changes scheduled.