Ignites,

I've created the IEP-69 [1] which describes the evolutionary release
process for the Apache Ignite 2.x version. You can find all the
details of my suggestion there, but here you can find the crucial
points:

0. Versioning - grand.major.bug-fix[-rc_number]

1. Prepare the next 3.0 release based on 2.x with some breaking
compatibility changes. The same things happen from time to time with
other Apache projects like Hadoop, Spark.

2. Discuss with the whole Community and assign the right release
version to the activities related to the development of the new Ignite
architecture (currently all the changes you can find in the ignite-3
branch).
I see no 3.0 discussions on the dev-list and I see no-activity with
the 3.0 version currently. So,  it's better to remove the `lock` from
the 3.0 version and allow the removal of obsolete features.

3. Guarantee the PDS compatibility between the `grand` versions of the
Apache Ignite for the next year.

4. Guarantee the bug-fix release for the last 2.x Apache Ignite
version for the next year.

5. Perform some improvements which break the backward compatibility,
for instance: removing @deprecated API (except metrics), removing
obsolete modules, changing the cluster defaults. You can find
additional details on the IEP-69 page [1].

Please, share your thoughts.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-69%3A+The+evolutionary+release+process