I think in this discussion there should be a question - why do we still
need abbreviations for all variables and fields? What problem does it solve?
Nobody still clearly answered this question.
I saw only 2 arguments to keep abbreviations:
1) Less codebase symbols. I think it is a weak argument. We're not in the
80-90s when there were no modern IDEs with hints and auto-completion.
Ideally code should be read just as english text. That really helps to
understand the code if you see it for the first time. Abbreviations
everywhere (except well-known CS terms) don't improve code readability.
2) We shouldn't break constitency with old codebase written with enforced
abbreviations. Hence the question - why was this rule introduced at project
startup? Who knows that?
I guess most people who decided to introduce this rule left the Ignite
project.

>> Consistency is what makes it easier to contribute to the project
Yes it is. But what makes it easier is actually clear architecture, simple
and convenient abstractions and well-documented code. Ignite has a big lack
of that.
For example, look at the transactions or PME codebase. It's darkness and no
abbreviations for "consistency" will help to understand that code.

>> and attract new members
Who can tell me at least 5 contributors with 10+ commits who are not
working/worked in GridGain or SberBank?
It's sad to hide behind an open source community that really does not exist.