What that entails is that the end user has to keep a Solr cluster running,
which comes with its own challenges (now you have to manage two systems
instead of one).

I believe Calcite has native support for Solr?

OTOH, having native Lucene indices allow us to control per partition
indices with no distributed overhead, since Lucene is a per node instance
with no global coordination.