OK, that got me past that barrier. Then I needed to update my metastore
schema, so I ran

./buildall.sh -format -testdata -skiptests -notests -ninja

which resulted in

Metastore service failed to start within 300.0 seconds.

logs/cluster/hive-metastore.log shows:

WARN [main] metastore.HiveMetaStore: Retrying creating default database
after error: Unable to open a test connection to the given database. JDBC
url = jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/hive_impala, username = hiveuser.
Terminating connection pool (set lazyInit to true if you expect to start
your database after your app). Original Exception: ------
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the
hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP
connections.

so I tried

psql -U hiveuser -c "SELECT * FROM pg_roles WHERE rolname = 'hiveuser';"
psql: FATAL:  database "hiveuser" does not exist

and then

createdb hiveuser
bin/create-test-configuration.sh

That worked. I then ran

testdata/bin/run-all.sh

again, and it failed again, with the same error as above about "Unable to