bin/boostrap_development already only works for Ubuntu 16.04+ because it's
painful to get Java8 via apt-get on Ubuntu 14. The "profile=3"
configuration in master already requires Java 8 at runtime, but will still
compile with "java 7 source". Are you proposing to change
https://github.com/cloudera/Impala/blob/2d2579cb31edda24457d33ff5176d79b7c0432c5/fe/pom.xml#L340
from
1.7 to 1.8?

I'm in favor of removing support for CentOS 5. Do we pay a tax for CentOS
6.8 vs older versions of CentOS 6? I worry there are more of those lying
around than we care to admit.

-- Philip