Currently one of the biggest pain points with the build system is the
number of layered shell scripts that interact with each other in
non-obvious ways.

The easiest way to simplify the situation, to start off with, is to delete
or deprecate some of them as entry points. I deleted some in
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/12271/ and it felt good.

The make_*.sh scripts are one candidate. I think the logic there should be
either moved to CMake (preferably) so we get proper dependency management
and a standard interface or become a function in buildall.sh. That way,
buildall.sh is the entry point if you want to do a full build or switch
build types and make/ninja is the entry point for incremental builds.
That's already my workflow and it works well.

Does anyone use those make_*.sh scripts directly as part of their workflow?
If so, which ones and how attached are you to them?

- Tim