Yeah, I suppose it depends on the version and the bug fixes. Sometimes it's
also new features, which it would be good to feature gate anyway. IIRC, at
some point Impala wouldn't build against any released Hive version because
Hive 3.0 made changes to Hive 2.0 that Impala couldn't deal with and Hive
2.x didn't contain a feature Impala depended on just to compile
the frontend. Or maybe it was Hadoop.

If we could set an example with older releases, I think it would be lovely
and perhaps help adoption, too!