From:   Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com>
To:     "dev@impala" <dev@impala.incubator.apache.org>
Cc:     Silvius Rus <s...@cloudera.com>, Sudarshan
            Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, Manish
            Patil/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, Valencia
            Serrao/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
Date:   08/17/2016 09:43 PM
Subject:        Re: Contributions to Cloudera Impala

> I'm glad to tell you that we are able to build and test Impala on Ubuntu
> linux ppc64le with the great support from the Cloudera Community.

Excellent!

> Our next action is to upstream all our changes to Cloudera Impala.

Great!

Cloudera has donated Impala to the Apache Software Foundation (aka
"ASF"). Cloudera now contributes to the project, and the project is
managed by the Impala community.

> With
> this, our plan is to start building latest Impala on Power8 as we'd been
> porting quite an old version (code from cdh5-trunk branch till 23rd
March,
> 2016). Since then, I know there have been many many changes happened
which
> are yet to be ported, specially kudu stuff.

Yes, there have been many changes. One is that Impala is now hosted on
ASF-owned git. Please see
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IMPALA/How+to+switch+to
+Apache-hosted+git

>    We know we need CLA to be signed to start contributions. We have
already
>    initiated the process and hoping to get it done soon.

I think the right thing to do here is use the Apache CLAs. See

https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

and

https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

>     By the time we get CLA signed, we would start porting the changes
done
>    in last 5 months. So, I wanted to know which tag/branch should we take
>    up for this.

This is a question we could all discuss together, and it might end up
being a decision made by the Project Management Committee (PMC).

This is a big question about how Apache Impala will evolve. Our bylaws
state:

"Significant, pervasive features may be developed in a speculative
branch of the repository. The PMC may grant commit rights on the
branch to its consistent contributors for the duration of the
initiative. Branch committers are responsible for shepherding their
feature into an active release and do not cast binding votes or vetoes
in the project."

So perhaps this should happen on a separate branch?

One question the community should also consider, IMHO, is whether the
community will have sufficient resources to maintain a working ppc64le
codebase indefinitely into the future.

> Working on cdh5-trunk will put us into an unending loop of
>    porting as it is being modified everyday. We are thinking to create a
>    branch from cdh5.8.0-release tag and start working on it. Please
suggest
>    us the best way to do this.

Since Impala is now developed on Apache infrastructure, we have
switched branching schemas. Our main branch is now "master". We do not
have any release branches yet.

>    Verifying all the changes on x86 platforms ourself here will also be
>    time consuming and add potential delays in upstreaming. So, we were
>    thinking if we can get a job on Cloudera's Continuous integration
server
>    which would simply fetch our branch and verify it on all the supported
>    platforms and do all the required checks. I'm not sure if this is
>    feasible but just a thought. Any other suggestions  to foster this
>    activity would be appreciated.

We are working on making a publicly-available CI setup, but we aren't done
yet.

Do you have a CI setup and x86-64 machines that your CI workers can run on?

>    For every Pull Request, what are the basic sanity tests required to be
>    ensured? Do you test all BE, FE, End-to-End tests, Custom cluster
tests?

Patches are sent to gerrit for review. Before they are merged, all
tests must pass in "core" (but not "exhaustive") mode.

If I were in your shoes, I might take the following steps:

1. Start a discussion on dev@ about whether a new branch is the right
way to develop.

2. Work out long-term maintenance plans and commitments and CI plans

3. Do the arduous work of rebasing on a recent HEAD.