Any modifications you make to the Kudu build would probably need to be
checked by the folks working on the Kudu project. Impala builds Kudu
for 2 reasons: 1) for the client which it links against (build time
dependency) 2) for the dev environment (dev and test dependency).

What are you trying to do? If you want Impala to work on ppc64le, then
you'll probably eventually want Kudu to work on ppc64le as well, and
that might take a lot more work/testing.

If you want the impala that you build to be able to communicate with
Kudu at all (whether or not Kudu runs on the same platform), you do
need to compile in the client as you're currently doing. In that case,
you should ask the Kudu authors at d...@kudu.apache.org.

If you're OK with not supporting any Kudu for now, then you can
"disable" Kudu support in the build/runtime. To do this, you should:
1) in native-toolchain:
    get source/kudu/build.sh  is_supported_platform() to return false
for ppc64le
     that results in a stub being built instead of all of kudu
2) in Impala: changing impala-config.sh so IS_KUDU_SUPPORTED is false
for ppc64le.