There's one issue with older versions of gold that for shared objects it
doesn't handle weak symbols correctly:

This isn't a problem for static linking, but for dynamic linking causes
problems like not seeing tcmalloc's version of malloc.

Not a blocker (I use gold almost all the time on my laptop by putting a
symlink on my path as 'ld') but something to be aware of.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Jim Apple <> wrote:

> I think clang doesn't have a CLI option to use gold. Does -asan
> interact well with gold?
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Tim Armstrong <>
> wrote:
> > The gold linker is much faster for building static binaries so will be
> much
> > friendlier for new developers.
> >
> > I don't think I've seen a problem attributable to gold since it was
> added ~
> > 6 months ago. I've been using it since then and we've been using it for
> > some Impala test jobs as well for at least a couple of months. I feel
> > confident that any major problems have been shaken out.
> >
> > Does anyone have any objections?
> >
> > - Tim

Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera