Hi Katelyn,
  It looks like the immediate cause of the problem is that you have a
setuptools 0.7.x version installed. For whatever reason (it's arcane to me)
that version is incompatible with the standard Python installation tools
that we use for impala-shell. setuptools 0.6.x (which looks like what is
provided by default on CentOS 6) or any setuptools version >= 0.8 should
not have this problem.

We use CentOS 6.4 pretty heavily and it looks like we have 0.6.10 installed
on those systems:

$ yum info python-setuptools
Name        : python-setuptools
Arch        : noarch
Version     : 0.6.10
Release     : 3.el6
Size        : 1.5 M
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : centos-base
Summary     : Easily build and distribute Python packages
URL         : http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute
License     : Python or ZPLv2.0
Description : Setuptools is a collection of enhancements to the Python
distutils
            : that allow you to more easily build and distribute Python
            : packages, especially ones that have dependencies on other
            : packages.
            :
            : This package contains the runtime components of setuptools,
            : necessary to execute the software that requires
pkg_resources.py.

Probably the most direct solution is to switch to

Cheers,
Tim