For a long time I've just used GNU screen + VIM with syntax highlighting.
Then "git grep" or search in VIM as needed to find things. Obviously not
ideal for everyone.

I've tried YouCompleteMe recently and it works fairly well but hasn't been
a game-changer for me. Jumping to definitions is handy sometimes but I
haven't found that it's changed my workflow that much.